PH Batch 12 Mid- English Proficiency Assessment (Sha's Class)
1. You do not look messy in ______ the formal garment_______ the informal garment. To complete the sentence which correlative conjunction is appropriate?*
2. Most police trainees _____ to work in the morning.*
3. The actor with great smile _______ acting in front of the judges.*
4. That's between ___________.*
5. Everybody congratulated her _______ her new job.*
6. The answer sheets of the teacher ____ incredibly messy.*
7. Butter and jam ____ good for a sandwich spread.*
8. Which of the following is properly sequenced?*
9. My great grandmother _____a mobile phone when she was younger.*
10. No talking and texting ______ allowed in class.*
11. She wrote the letter yesterday but _____ it yet.*
12. Which is the best sentence?*
13. By the time the interview was finished, the next interviewee______ *
14. If you were here earlier, you _________Maria.*
15. Adela is on vacation in Korea. She doesn't have much money and she is spending it too quickly. Before the end of her vacation, she ______ all her money. She will be broke.*
16. The doctor recommended eating healthier and ______.*
17. Two minutes of internalizing ______ enough to prepare yourself for an interview.*
18. Not only girls but also that lady_____ the pressure in school.*
19. Either the employees or the employer ______ to follow the law.*
20. Singing in the theater and dancing ballet______ my favorite things to do.*
21. If it ______, you will give me a lift*
22. The council _______ postponed a decision on the new road, and may leading members of the opposition party_________ criticized the delay.*
23. I was sure that I ______ him before.*
24. __________ Sara wanted to borrow money.*
25. When he realized I ______ at him, he ______ away. *
26. It was _______ to see a police car outside the house this morning.*
27. My mentor gave me some _____ advice.*
28. George memorized the speech________.*
29. The views from the hotel window were absolutely ______.*
30. I would avoid the boss today if I were you, because he's been very _______.*
Please identify the word according to the transcription given and write your answer on the blank below.
4. Complete the sentence by identifying the transcription. Please write the word on the blank below.
"She is /ˈbjutɪf(ə)l/ in that red dress.
5. /lʊk/, that bird is flying with only one wing!
1) Islamic State of Iraq and Syria officially known as the Islamic State is a Salafi jihadist militant group that follows a fundamentalist, Salafi doctrine of Sunni Islam. ISIS gained global prominence in early 2014 when it drove Iraqi government forces out of key cities in its Western Iraq, followed by its capture of Mosul.The group has been designated a terrorist organization by the United Nations. ISIS is widely known for its videos of beheadings and other types of executions of both soldiers and civilians, including journalists and aid workers, and its destruction of cultural heritage sites. The United Nations holds ISIS responsible for human rights abuses and war crimes. ISIS also committed ethnic cleansing on an historic and unprecedented scale in northern Iraq. In July 2017, the group lost control of its largest city, Mosul, to the Iraqi army. Following this major defeat, ISIS continued to lose territory to the various states and other military forces allied against it, until it controlled no meaningful territory by November 2017. U.S. military officials and simultaneous military analyses reported in December 2017 that the group retained a mere 2 percent of the territory they had previously held. On 10 December 2017, Iraq's Prime Minister said that Iraqi forces had driven the last remnants of Islamic State from the country, three years after the militant group captured about a third of Iraq's territory. "What event marked the global prominence ofI SIS? 1pt*
2. What is ISIS’s major defeat in 2017? 1pt*
3. What is your stance about terrorism? (Essay) 3pts.*
4) Blind date, a comeback in modern Chinese lifeIn ancient China most of people got married with the help of a matchmaker and the arrangements of their parents. The man's side, led by the matchmaker, would visit the girl's family to confirm each other's stance. The step is called blind date.Nowadays, there are millions of single people in big cities like Shanghai and Beijing, so the traditional practice of blind date has made a comeback in modern Chinese life.A price list for Chinese blind dates that has been widely circulated on the net has triggered heated discussion with users dubbing the list a "chain of scorn in marriage". The list is a common guideline for parents who go to "blind date parks" in Beijing looking for matches for their single children. The parks display profiles about single men and women detailing their household registration, income, property, education and other hard constraints.A ranking system has evolved to divide singles as top, high class, standard, low, simple and no consideration. To be grouped in the top echelon, a man should be worth at least 5.6 million yuan, have a Beijing registered residence, own a house in Beijing’s key regions, own a good car and earn more than 50,000 yuan a month, have a master's or doctorate, or have studied abroad. "1. What is the "chain of scorn in marriage”? 1pt.*
5. What are the requirements for the man in the top echelon? 1pt.*
6. What is your stance about this passage in this modern world? 3pts.*
1. ________ clothing are advised to be worn during summer.*
2. She is known for her 𝙥𝙚𝙣𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙣𝙩 for jewelry. The underline word means________.*
3. "Because of 𝙥𝙧𝙤𝙛𝙖𝙣𝙞𝙩𝙮, the program was suspended from television." The underline word means________.*
4. Several factors must be assessed to arrived at sound______.*
5. The cause of power interruption was a ________ connection.*
1. What state is this?
2. What state is this?*
3. What state is this?*
4. What state is this?*
5. What state is this?*
6. What state is this?*
7. What state is this?*
8. What state is this?*
9. What state is this?*
10. What state is this?*
11. What state is this?
12. What state is this?
13. What state is this?
14. What state is this?
15. What state is this?
Time Zone & Capitals
1. If the current time in the Pacific is 1:00pm, what time is it in the Eastern time zone? (no travel time)
2. If the current time in the Eastern is 6:00am, what time is it in the Pacific time zone? (no travel time)
3. If the current time in the Central is 11pm, what time is it in the Pacific time zone? (with travel time)
4. If the current time in the Pacific is 6pm, what time is it in the Mountain time zone with travel time?
5. If the current time in the Eastern is 9am, what time is it in the Pacific time zone with travel time?